Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hey Griffin! You're Going To Be A Big Brother!

The second we found out we were adding another baby to the fam...I immediately felt a little guilty for Griffin. I was literally a day and a half pregnant and I was already thinking the worst...

"What is Griffin going to do when the new baby comes?"

"Is he going to be okay with sharing Mommy and Daddy?"

"Am I going to be able to handle TWO kids?"

"How am I going to go grocery shopping?" 

"HOW AM I GOING TO GET A PEDICURE????????"

Seriously...I had a few meltdowns over the course of the 9 months preparing for Brady to arrive. But at the end of the day, I just told myself, "plenty of people do this, we are going to be fine" Somehow it made me feel less bat-shit crazy better. 

I found this adorable letter written by this Mom (on Pinterest, of course) to her first born son a few weeks before his baby sister was about to be born. It made me cry like a baby (duh), but I'm posting it here b/c it's everything I ever wanted to say to Griffin before Brady joined us:




“Sweet Little Ryder,
Thank you for being you. My wild, sweet, witty, superhero, lego loving little boy. Thanks for making me laugh every day.
I know you can’t possibly understand what’s happening to me right now. You’ll be a big brother very soon. You just see that Mommy is bigger and tired and not as much fun at the playground as before.
You have taught me so much in the past 3.5 years. I’ve learned to stop and live in the moment more often. Because every day you grow older is bittersweet for me. I’ve learned that sometimes fresh air and sunshine make everything better, that I have magical kisses that heal, that sometimes everything looking perfect isn’t as important as your family being happy. I’ve learned that I need to be the best possible person I can be because you are watching and taking in more than I realize with every passing day. Plus I’ve also learned a LOT about dinosaurs.
Ever since you were born, I rush home to you whenever I’m away. I don’t want to miss a second of this magical time when you are little. You’re suddenly going to look so big to me. I know you will change and grow up a lot in the coming months. I remember looking at your tiny hands when you were born and being in awe that I grew them. They still look so small and sweet to me and I know soon they’ll look so big in comparison. I promise I will remind myself to stop, put down the baby and be there for you… to make the most of the only time in your life you’ll be 3 and 4.
You have the sweetest spirit I have ever known and I am sure you’ll love your little sister. She will be here soon. Four short weeks if she’s early like you. She will be celebrated and loved by everyone, just as you were. Please know during this time that you will always have my heart. It’s just going to grow big enough to hold enough love for two.
I would love to tell you that things aren’t going to change that much, that your life will go on the same. But that’s not true. Our world is about to be rocked. You will probably be woken up at night for a while. You’ll be dragged to doctor appointments for her and I won’t be able to play as much while I’m feeding your sister. You will have to learn to share everything. Even our precious story time every night. But after a while you’ll find that you have a cool little friend and that all of your friends will think you are so lucky.
Because you will be. We all will be.
Because if she’s anything like you. If she’s half as funny, adorable and loving as you, there will be no way to get around loving her more than we can stand. Just think, you’ll never get a chance to feel lonely, as I’m sure she won’t let you.
One day, when I’m not on this earth anymore, I hope you can look at her and see pieces of me and I hope more than anything that this makes you smile. You’ll always be my favorite little boy in the whole wide world. I am so grateful that my life has been blessed with you.
“I love you more than you love me.”
Momma






^^^silly me.^^^



My biggest piece of advice? Talk about the new baby as much as you possibly can in the most positive light possible. They will love them. If not at first...eventually.

Want to know a secret? We ended up just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment