Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"No sense of emergency"-room Visit #2 for G

So there we were...on Saturday morning... I was dicing olives for my 7 layer mexican dip to take to the baby shower I was hosting that night when I hear Griffin fall off of his tiny blue plastic chair...followed by his "hurt cry." All you Mama's know the difference between a "I'm whining cry because I bruised my knee a little bit" and a "I'm screaming bloody murder cry because, well, in this case, I just split my chin open."

When I kneeled down to check out the damage Griffin was holding his mouth. As I put my hand under his chin to tilt his head up, I knew it was bad when blood ran down my own hand. Oye. Queasy and a whole bunch of "Oh S#@$'s" came out of my mouth and that's when Bri ran in...saved the day with his paper towel and applied pressure. I was still looking at the blood on my hands thinking, "there is no way we aren't going to the ER today."

You see...we are split chin connoisseurs...Griff managed to split his chin open when he was just under a year old. We took him to the ER then, b/c duh...we were new parents and we saw blood. Turns out he just needed a little glue (like he was a broken toy) and off we went.

As soon as I pulled myself together and looked at the cut, I immediately could tell this was twice as big....twice as deep.

So before I knew it, Bri was coming downstairs fully dressed with a Brady in his arms (poor baby JUST laid down for his morning nap) when I thought, "Crap...I need to put a bra on." So I hurried, got decent, and we rushed to the car. Bri is putting Griff in and I see the blood going all over his car seat and I'm thinking "Ugh...I JUST cleaned that car seat cover." Oh c'mon...ya'll know what a pain those are to take apart!!

Our neighbor....our AMAZING neighbor...came thru in the clutch and took Brady for us so we didn't have to drag him to the hospital. No...it wasn't even an option for us for just one of us to go.

The ER usually takes children and their injuries pretty seriously. We got back to a room right away. Within about 10-15 minutes we had seen a doctor and she had confirmed that he would most definitely need stitches. After that, we waited FOREVER for him to be numbed. They used a topical numbing solution, which by the way, if you are ever in this situation...request a shot! Short term pain for a long term gain. You guessed it...by the 2nd stitch G was screaming saying that it hurt. He was fidgeting and the doctor said, you need to stop kicking Griffin...as if he was some sort of adult. I was about to get all Mama Bear on her ass.

He was re-numbed and we were able to finish the 3 other stitches with little to no problems.

FOUR HOURS! 4 hours in that ER....Thank goodness for great friends! I was running so far behind in the day, I needed my grocery list finished off before the baby shower started.

Things like split chins ONLY happen on the days you have some big event.

Here are pictures from our lovely morning/afternoon spent in the ER... Beware...the sliced chin is a little gross. I love that when I texted my best friend (the one whose shower I was hosting) that I wasn't going to send her the picture b/c it would make her nauseous, she responds, "No...just do it. Send it. I can handle it." *Love her*


The pic I took before we left the house.


Waiting patiently...the cartoons helped!

 Waiting for the numbing solution to kick in!

LP makes these situations a little better :-)

And Kindles...

Oh, and popsicles...

 The final product!

Lastly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment