Wednesday, October 2, 2013

#toddlerproblems

I've been wanting to post on this for a LONG time...but it seems that I am too busy dealing with my crazy, stubborn, too-smart-for-his-own-good-which results in being a bad thing, impatient, mean, attitude-y (I'm so flustered I'm making up words now), toddler to even have one single second to rage my frustrations.

Before I begin, it helps that I have talked to both friends....and complete strangers (b/c I will vent my toddler frustrations on just about anyone who will listen) and they have all told me that they are either 1. having the same issues with their own child or 2. they are past that point and tell me "Not to worry, it really is just a phase."

Side note: there are also the parents that are just one step ahead of me and tell me, and I quote, "Don't worry...3 is MUCH worse." << And even this somehow makes me feel better... like I am on some sort of Mommy level playing field and it's not just my kid.

Of course, I am my toughest critic. I am constantly asking myself, "Am I disciplining him right?" "Am I being consistent?" "Am I being too hard on him?" "Should I pop him on the tush for that?" "Is time out really working?" The list of questions is endless....

I take into account what my friends do with their kids...then usually push that to the wayside b/c there isn't a single child I know that is just like Griffin, therefore, I can't discipline the same.

I was texting a friend the other day and told her that I am SHOCKED that there are days that Bri feels comfortable leaving the 2 of us alone together all day long. I'm pretty sure he's expecting to come home one day and see Griffin tied to a tree in the backyard.

Some of the things I say to Griffin EVERYDAY:

"Stop saying Mommy...I just answered you 5 Mommy's ago..."
"Get off your brother."
"You're going too fast...you are going to run over Brady."
"No you can't have fruit snacks in the morning."
"Stop climbing on your brother while he's drinking his bottle."
"Color on the paper...not the table."
"Don't throw that at me when I'm not looking."
"Get in the corner."
"Be careful, son."

A few discovery's I have made from raising this little human:

- Yelling is a horrible disciplining technique. Unless they are in danger, it's best not to raise your voice. They will most likely laugh in your face. At least mine does....and it scares the baby.

- Time out for Griffin was fun for him until I turned "Get into time out!!" into "Put your nose in the corner!!" He hates that corner. Probably b/c it has cobwebs.

- I have 2 phrases that work 99.9% of the time...especially in public... "That is not an option" and "This is not up for discussion." It sounds advanced. He may not even know what the words mean. But when I say one, or both, of those...he knows I mean biniz...

- It is physically impossible to hold a grudge with your toddler. The other day, Griffin busted into Brady's room (without me knowing) after B had only been asleep for 45 minutes. I don't think I have ever been so mad at my child...you just don't MESS with nap time. After he spent more than enough time in the corner, he was over it...I, of course, was still fuming..... I just wanted to be like, "DON'T YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU DID?!?" But it's just another lesson learned for them.

At the end of the day, I just want him to be a good kid. I want him to be respectful and kind and gentle with other peoples feelings. I also want him to throw touchdown passes and hit home runs...but thankfully he got his Daddy's genes for that ;-) I just hope this "phase" makes us both stronger for enduring each other...b/c I'm sure there are days he doesn't like to be around me as much as I don't like to be around him!









3 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job! I'm sure this (and other stages) will seem very short some day. Maybe we won't even really remember these kinds of things. I tell Emmy all the time that some day I'm going to remind her of how ridiculous it was to change her diaper.....a diaper! 2 seconds and the child is in hysterics because she is lying on her back. Oh man! Anyway, I know your boys love you and will grow up to be very respectful and kind. But we still have to teach them these things....that's why we are Mommies...and why it's the hardest job to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Common phrases that come out of my mouth on a daily basis:
    "Get your hands OUT of your pants"
    "Stop picking your nose"
    "Mason, GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR PANTS"
    "No, you cannot go commando today"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh....thanks Melissa! Diaper changes when they get squirmy are the pits! Brady hasn't sit still....ever. So I feel your pain! But you're right, I bet we won't even remember these days in the future ;-) Or at least I will try not to hold these days against them! Haha

    Alisha, you crack me up! What is it with boys, their wieners, and being naked?????

    ReplyDelete