Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Potty Training

So...I officially ripped the band-aid off and decided to potty train the G-man. I had absolutely NO idea if he was ready for this or not. I had done a good amount of "research" on potty training. By research, I mean that I read over the various Mom blogs I pinned on Pinterest. I came across one in particular that seemed pretty appealing, titled: Potty Training In One Day. I obviously knew it wasn't going to be that simple, but I took these few ideas away from that particular blog"

- Stock up the fridge and pantry with CRAP. Obviously it wasn't worded quite like that. But that's essentially how I read it. Griffin gets very little juice and he NEVER gets candy. I will admit, I'm pretty strict about that kindof stuff. So I went and bought juice boxes, candy corn, twizzlers, m&m's, etc...

- Throw the diapers and pull-ups away. I clearly did not do this b/c I have a smaller child that will fit into Griffin's diapers in about a week (har, har). But I actually got this same tip from my pediatrician. She told me that since I stay home with him, that I should just do day and nighttime training all at once.

- Put them in a shirt and underwear. That's it.

- Set a timer. Put them on the potty every 15 minutes.

Here's how our day went...

Woohoo! So excited to be in big boy underwear...coming down the stairs first thing in the AM.


I was taking a picture for the fam to let them all know we were starting today, even though I'm pretty sure I had already told them and anyone else who would listen that we were starting to potty train...

And shortly after this picture, about 7 minutes after he woke up, he peed his pants. In fact, he peed his pants 3 times in the span of 30 minutes. By 10AM we were on our 6th pair of underwear, I had resorted to carrying the all-purpose cleaner and a roll of paper towels everywhere I went. Every time I bent down to clean up a puddle I was seriously wondering how any of us adults are potty trained. 


But eventually he peed on the potty for the very first time after wetting his underwear FOUR times. I cried. Like, real tears, I was so happy. That's when you've hit the jackpot of crazy, my friends...when you're crying over pee inside of a froggy potty. 

I kissed and hugged that little guy for as long as he'd let me and I think that's when it finally clicked for him. It wasn't the juice or the candy. He literally beamed at my reaction and the whole potty thing really started to set in. 

We went thru 8 pairs of underwear before nap time. It was EXHAUSTING! And of course, I thought he would wet his pants during nap time. Nope. Complete shock of my life.

We went thru a grand total of 10 pairs of underwear on Day 1. 

Day 2 we only went thru 3 pairs of underwear.

By Day 3 he was accident-free and TELLING me that he had to go potty. 

Thank you, Jesus. 


For those of you wondering how our set up was for the dreaded "First Day"...this was it. Griff on the froggy potty, Mommy on the little brown stool, Brady chillin' outside the bathroom door in his walker...takin' it all in. We had books, puzzles, coloring books, the Kindle. Everything helped. I'm telling you, besides nap time, we probably spent all but 2 hours inside of that tiny bathroom that day. My tush hurt so bad from sitting on that tiny step stool. If only the recliner fit...


Nighttime is a little different. I've done more research on nighttime potty training since that is what is the most difficult. We stop his liquid intake about an hour + before bed time and make him go potty twice before bed. Bri and I usually go to bed at different times. So I will go in before I go to bed and pick him up and set him on his froggy potty in his room. He mostly stays asleep. Then, Bri will do the same before he goes to bed. It seems to work the best b/c he rarely wakes up wet. 

Right now, we are officially 2 weeks into potty training. He now potty's on the big potty with a little potty seat insert. The froggy potty stays upstairs in his room for him to use before and after nap time and in the middle of the night. 

All in all, this whole potty training thing was MUCH easier than I had anticipated. I went into it with little to no expectations and I can't say it enough that I am so proud of Griffin for catching on so quickly....and I'm kindof also a little proud of myself for not losing my shit cool every time I was cleaning pee off the floor :-)

I wonder how soon I can get B-rad out of diapers...

No comments:

Post a Comment